Thursday, June 29, 2006

Jesus is Not Waiting for You

One of the blogs I frequent is "Pyromaniacs" www.teampyro.blogspot.com, and one of the team members, CenturiOn, blogged the following yesterday:

Jesus is not waiting for you to make a choice: Jesus is saving right now. The call is not "do you accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior": the call is "Jesus is Lord and Christ! Be baptized and repent in His name!"

Isn't it amazing how, even in the Reformed church (RCA and other stripes), we get this wrong. I had one of our persistant visitors ask me recently if I was ever going to preach the Gospel. Once I recovered from my shock, I told her that I believed I had been preaching the Gospel, and she said, well, no, she hadn't heard me give a single altar call.

How many times will we wrench the passage from Revelation and have our Almighty God and Savior dressed in rags, pitiful and dying, standing just outside the door, knocking with His last ounce of strength, hoping that we will let Him in so He might "sup" with us and be saved, and in return, He'll give us eternal salvation.

Another persistant visitor, who likes to make huge doctrinal statements from minor and/or vague texts, argues that "we see through the glass darkly," so none of us can say we have the whole truth.

While I agree with him to a point, on the other hand, everything we need to know for life and salvation is clearly and abundantly stated in the Scriptures, so even we dumb sheep can understand.

One thing that we dumb sheep need to get through our thick skulls is that Jesus chose us, elected us, and saved us from all eternity. Then He created all that is -- and then we are saved in time, etc. etc.

If Jesus is waiting for us, He and His Salvation are worthless.

Bravo, CenturiOn.

May God forgive us for our sloppy and lazy theology.