Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Monday (So Sue Me) Puritan

"'Nay,' says a gracious heart, 'Lord, as for these things, do with me what Thou wilt. I'll serve Thee as long as I have life and strength. Thou shalt have the glory of all. I'll do it upon Thy bare Word, what Thou hast promised for the life that is to come, merely upon the hope of what glory Thou hast revealed in Thy Word for Thy saints. That shall be enough to me, though I never see a good day in the world in respect of my outward comforts; though the men of the world should use me against common sense and reason, and treat me ever so vile here, it is no great matter. I do not serve Thee for wages here; that which I serve Thee for is in hopes of what is coming hereafter, and that wage is not a servile thing.'"
-- Jeremiah Burroughs Hope, p.7

No comments: