Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Review: "This is Your Brain on Joy: A Revolutionary Program for Balancing Mood, Restoring Brain Health, and Nurturing Spiritual Growth"

This is my first review for Thomas Nelson for their Book Review Bloggers Team – thank you to HUL at Random Responses for making this program known on his site.

My first book is This is Your Brain on Joy: A Revolutionary Program for Balancing Mood, Restoring Brain Health, and Nurturing Spiritual Growth by Dr. Earl Henslin. See the product detail at: http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=078522873X

I chose this book both because I have an interest in neurology and theology. However, I approached the book with some hesitation, as well, hoping this would not merely be pop psychology.

Dr. Henslin is a very engaging and fun writer. He writes at the level of the average reader to make sure we can all understand the issues involved in the neurological problems he is addressing. He even renames the five mood centers of the brain to make them easier to understand and remember (21).

Dr. Henslin’s thesis is that if the surface of the brain is smooth, all five mood centers will be functioning joyfully. To see the surface of the brain, he relies on SPECT imaging (single photon emission computerized tomography), and he has numerous before and after black-and-white images to show the process and changes on the brain surface – all of which is very interesting. Before one commits to the test, he has a “brain system checklist” (33-37) which allows one to answer a bunch of questions and find out which areas of the brain may be lacking joy. I took the test and found it quite reliable, given what I believe about myself.

Once one takes the test, he spends a chapter on each of the five mood centers and makes recommendations in the areas of supplements, quotes, activities, Scriptures, visualization, music, exercise, aromatherapy, cinematherapy, support, and additional reading. This reminds me very much of Dr. Andrew Weil’s work, and I think this is the most valuable part of the book.

However, I did have three major problems with this work:

First, Dr. Henslin argues that the brain and the mind are the same thing (viii, etc.). I disagree philosophically and theologically with this: Just because a separate non-corporeal mind cannot be seen, does not prove that it does not exist. Also, if the self exists after death and before the final resurrection, it would seem necessary that the self have all the memories, etc., it had on earth in order to be the self. This cannot be the brain, but could be the mind.

Second, Dr. Henslin argues that happiness and joy are the same thing (6, etc.). Again, I disagree: I understand happiness to be a fleeting state which can be manipulate through the variety of exercises he mentions. However, joy, theologically, is something that is given by Christ, which may grow, but cannot be taken away. It is a state that transcends happiness.

Third, chapter eleven (195-216) is his explanation of how Paul’s theology, especially in Philippians agrees with what he has said. Unfortunately, as I just said, I don’t think it does. Also, Dr. Henslin primarily uses The Message, which is a paraphrase, to support his argument Scripturally. This is no way to make an argument! He ought to use a good translation. If he can find one that supports his conclusions.

For these reasons, even though there are good ideas in this book, I would advise to proceed with great caution.

(This review is posted on my blog and at Amazon.com)

No comments: