Friday, April 03, 2009

Review: "Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes: the Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs"

I recently finished reading Dr. Neal Barnard’s Program for Reversing Diabetes: the Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs, by Dr. Neal D. Barnard. I bought this book some time ago because I had read other books by Dr. Barnard and been impressed with them. However, this one sat on a stack of books for quite some time, since I am not a diabetic.

However, I have started going to an endocrinologist, and he has suggested that I am on my way to becoming a diabetic – something I would like to avoid if at all possible – so I picked up this book and read.

Dr. Barnard begins by explaining diabetes and how it occurs. He then moves into an explanation of his program, which is basically, eat what you want, so long as you eat vegan, low fat, and low glycemic index. And this basically means, eat anything you like, so long as it is not an animal product, low in fat, and (generally speaking) not a white-colored food. (He goes into very understandable detail about these categories.)

The book includes both medical research and anecdotal proof of his plan.

The book ends with a section of recipes to help jump start the program.

I am going to follow his regime, and, hopefully, get myself in better health through it.

Highly recommended!

3 comments:

Avigayil said...

Hi Pastor Peter... how can I get in touch with you? - sheila from drew

sheila_macarthur@yahoo.com

patcii said...

Hmmm ... perhaps you should talk to someone who is diabetic first.

Perhaps one of your old roommates from college.

Stress is probably the biggest factor ... as long as you listen to Aristotle, "all things in moderation", what you eat shouldn't have that much of an impact.

dunjyonmaster 'at' gmail 'dot' com

aka Patrick

Rev. Dr. Peter A. Butler, Jr. said...

Wonderful to hear from both of you -- I have sent e-mails -- let's catch up!