Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Review: "The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving"

I read Randy Alcorn’s The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving as part of my preparation for a recent sermon. It is a book that I had on my list of books to read sooner than later.

Alcorn explains that his study led him to the conclusion that “our approach to money and possessions isn’t just important – it’s central to our spiritual lives” (9). Centering on Matthew 13:44, the parable of the buried treasure and the man who sold everything to get it, Alcorn directs us to what ought be of greatest value to us – Christ and His Gospel.

Alcorn challenges the reader through a tour of the Scripture, culmination in six keys: “God owns everything. I’m His money manager; My heart always goes where I put God’s money.; Heaven, not earth, is my home.; I should not live for the dot but for the line.; Giving is the only antidote to materialism.; God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving” (93).

This book has to be experienced: after reading it, I was convinced that I had to significantly increase my giving, and I was joyful about it. D.V., I plan to get copies of this book for all of our people for Stewardship Sunday in November. You should get a copy, too. Be free from money and possessions.

No comments: