Thursday, February 11, 2010

Review: "An All-Round Ministry"

C. H. Spurgeon’s An All-Round Ministry was first recommended to me by HUL at Random Responses six or so years ago during my Classical exams. It was recommended to me again not too long after by our dear friend from Ars Theologica. They should have pressed it to me more strongly, but I have now read this extraordinary work.

An All-Round Ministry is a collection of twelve of the “best” of his opening addresses to the students at his pastor’s college. They lovingly, biblically, humorously, and without compromise present some of what it means to have received the high call of being a pastor and to live out that call, personally, in the world, and amidst the congregation.

Spurgeon is, above all-things, Christ-centered. We live and serve and die in Christ – otherwise, our work is in vain. He is realistic in portraying how difficult, wearing, and time-consuming the ministry is – if one does it right! There were people in his day, as is in fashion today, who made the ministry more carnival than Word of God:

“The danger lies, at this time, in setting up theatricals, semi-theatricals, concerts, and so forth. Until I see that the Lord Jesus Christ has set up a theatre, or planned a miracle-play, I shall not think of emulating the stage or competing with the music hall. If I mind my own business, by preaching the gospel, I shall have enough to do. One object is enough for most men: one such as ours is enough for any minister, however many his talents, however versatile his mind” (274).

I do not agree with every word Spurgeon writes (he was a Baptist, after all!), but this is a volume that ought to be in every minister’s hands and every seminary student’s hands. Each should read it for perspective and encouragement in the ministry and refer back to it to be refreshed and corrected. I will.

This is an extraordinary work. Buy extra copies of it and give it away to your fellow ministers and your seminary students. It will do them good.

2 comments:

Scott Nichols said...

Told ya so! Now you need to read "Only A Prayer Meeting" by CHS.

Rev. Dr. Peter A. Butler, Jr. said...

Yes, almighty HUL, I will obey!