Friday, December 16, 2011

Review: "Cast of Characters"

Some people are surprised that I read Max Lucado, given my theological preferences, but I do.  I read him because he is a great story-teller.  He knows how to write and engage; he knows how to expose the fleshy-ness of humanity.  He sees human beings and their sin and shows them as they are.

I read for the story and for the story-telling style.  In his earlier books, I also found some great insight into the humanity of Jesus.

I just read his book, Cast of Characters:  Common People in the hands of an Uncommon God, and I would recommend that you skip it.

The story-telling is good, but the theology is continuing to slip.  Plus, as seems to be the trend with Thomas Nelson authors, he uses the NCV and also the MSG and TLB.  There is a point to be made for making the biblical text accessible to most readers.  However, resorting to paraphrases to make doctrinal points is never wise, because…well…it’s a paraphrase, not a translation.  There is no reason to believe that a person’s paraphrase has kept the Truth of the Scripture.  Translations have their good and bad points; paraphrases should be avoided, and certainly not used to prove a point, which they cannot do, because they are not what God authored.

Moving on from there is the slipping theology.  Now, I’m Reformed, and Lucado is not.  I have known that from day one.

But, on page 156-157, Lucado begins exegeting the word “hallowed,” which he says comes from the word “holy,” which comes from the root “to cut” – all good.  Then he writes, “To be holy, then, is to be a cut above the norm, superior, extraordinary.”  He, to my understanding, “wimps out.”  Is God merely a “cut above the rest,” or is He wholly other?

Most disturbingly, on page 210, he describes Christian adoption through Christ as a court case.  After Jesus has shown His ability to do good works, and ostensibly care for the “orphan” – you or me, God says He will permit the adoption – “I will permit it,” he says, “on one condition.  That the orphan requests it.”

Lucado has just stated that our salvation, despite any good works that Jesus might have done, is completely the individual's decision.  Salvation is completely the work of the person being saved.  All Jesus did in the Gospel may be a waste – loss – Jesus may not save anyone, because, ultimately, Lucado explains, you save yourself.

No comments: