Monday, January 02, 2012

Review: "Super Immunity"

Joel Fuhrman, M.D.’s latest book, Super Immunity, caught my eye since I have an auto-immune disease.

Fuhrman writes for the patient who wants to be involved in his treatment.  The language is not overly technical, though he does use accurate terminology and chemical names which the patient may have need to discuss with his doctor.

This “manual” is comprehensive:  in the first two chapters, he looks at the typical American diet and shows how we are compromising our immune systems by what we eat and how we live.  He argues the evidence for health supports a largely vegan (no animal product) diet.

The third chapter looks at the positive influence of plant foods on the immune system – and the whole body.

In the fourth he looks at colds and the flu, mythology and scientific fact, making recommendations for avoiding and getting through sickness.  One thing I did not know about that I will bring up with my doctor is resveratrol.

In the fifth chapter he addresses the myths and facts about carbs, fats, and protein.

The sixth chapter addresses exercise, salt, soy, and other “head-line” issues regarding health.  In this chapter, I read about EPA and DHEA, which I will also be bringing up with my doctor.

The final chapter is a two-week recipe and meal plan for super immunity.

The book includes an extensive glossary.

I found this an excellent and persuasive book which I would recommend discussing with one’s doctor.

No comments: