Sunday, April 07, 2019

"Know My Thoughts" Sermon: Psalm 139:23-24


“Know My Thoughts”
[Psalm 139:23-24]
April 7, 2019, Second Reformed Church
            Would it bother you if I knew everything you think?  Would you be embarrassed if everyone knew what you think?  I would be embarrassed – ashamed – if you knew everything thought that I had – because my thoughts are not always good or right or proper.
            The tenth commandment – the last commandment of the Second Table – the last of the commandments that deal with love of neighbor –
            We read:
            “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's” (Exodus 20:17, ESV).
            This commandment primarily has to do with a way in which we think.  We don’t use the word “covet” much is current English, but the word means to desire something with the belief that you deserve it more than the person who has it.  When we covet, we desire something with the belief that we deserve it more than the person who has it.  It is a lack of belief that God is able – or willing – to give us what we need.
            Understand, it is not wrong to desire something.  We may think, “Wow, that’s a nice car, I hope I can get one like that someday.”  Or, “Wow, her husband is so supportive of her and her work, I hope I have a husband like that someday.”  That is not coveting – that’s desiring.
            One author writes that we covet in four different ways (Kevin DeYoung, The Ten Commandments, 162-164.):
            First, we hurt others to get what they have.
            “Why does he have such a great girlfriend?  She’s a great cook, intelligent, beautiful, and I have no one.  I’m going to convince her that he boyfriend is cheating so she will fall into my arms.”
            “Why does he have such an awesome car, while I have this junker?  I’m going to key his car.”
            “Why does she get the promotion and I get left behind?  I’m going to sabotage her so she gets fired and I get the promotion.”
            Second, we are preoccupied with getting and accumulating wealth.
            “I only have one hundred thousand dollars in the bank.  That’s not enough.  I have to get more money. I have to get better deals.  Why should Bill Gates have all that money when I may need it?”
            “Look at the Hollywood stars with their gold and diamonds.  Why do they have all that when I deserve to be secure too?”
            “I only have one car of one make.  I need to have one of every car to be successful.  I need to buy land to store cars.”
            Third, we are unwilling to give what we have.
            “My postal carrier came to the door and asked if she could have a bottle of water.  We’ll I told her – do you know how much bottled water costs?  You’re a government employee, you can afford to buy your own water.”
            “The pastor talked about giving today, and went on and on about how if everyone gave as they ought, we wouldn’t have any financial concerns.  I put a quarter in the plate each week – and he should be thankful for that – I don’t have to come.  He needs to leave me alone and hit up people who have money, like Carol.”
            “This guy started ranting and raving that his wife was going into labor on the street, and he said he needed my paper to wrap the baby in – well, I told him – I hadn’t even read the paper yet.”
            Fourth, we frequently grumble about our lives.
            “Nobody has ever had it as hard as I have.  You should all be thanking your lucky stars that you haven’t had the life I’ve had.  I’ve had to work to support myself, and pay bills, and – you just wouldn’t believe how hard I have it.”
            “Why do I have children with mental illness?  What are You trying to prove, God?  Couldn’t You have given them to someone else?”
            “Would you pay for my lunch, I can’t afford it.  You have no idea how hard it is to keep up a five bedroom home when you are the only person living there.”
            In one of the histories of coveting in the Bible, we read:
“Now Naboth the Jezreelite had a vineyard in Jezreel, beside the palace of Ahab king of Samaria. And after this Ahab said to Naboth, ‘Give me your vineyard, that I may have it for a vegetable garden, because it is near my house, and I will give you a better vineyard for it; or, if it seems good to you, I will give you its value in money.’ But Naboth said to Ahab, ‘The LORD forbid that I should give you the inheritance of my fathers.’ And Ahab went into his house vexed and sullen because of what Naboth the Jezreelite had said to him, for he had said, ‘I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers.’ And he lay down on his bed and turned away his face and would eat no food.
“But Jezebel his wife came to him and said to him, ‘Why is your spirit so vexed that you eat no food?’ And he said to her, ‘Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite and said to him, “Give me your vineyard for money, or else, if it please you, I will give you another vineyard for it.” And he answered, “I will not give you my vineyard.”’ And Jezebel his wife said to him, ‘Do you now govern Israel? Arise and eat bread and let your heart be cheerful; I will give you the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite.’
“So she wrote letters in Ahab's name and sealed them with his seal, and she sent the letters to the elders and the leaders who lived with Naboth in his city. And she wrote in the letters, ‘Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth at the head of the people. And set two worthless men opposite him, and let them bring a charge against him, saying, “You have cursed God and the king.” Then take him out and stone him to death.’ And the men of his city, the elders and the leaders who lived in his city, did as Jezebel had sent word to them. As it was written in the letters that she had sent to them, they proclaimed a fast and set Naboth at the head of the people. And the two worthless men came in and sat opposite him. And the worthless men brought a charge against Naboth in the presence of the people, saying, ‘Naboth cursed God and the king.’ So they took him outside the city and stoned him to death with stones. Then they sent to Jezebel, saying, ‘Naboth has been stoned; he is dead.’
            “As soon as Jezebel heard that Naboth had been stoned and was dead, Jezebel said to Ahab, ‘Arise, take possession of the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, which he refused to give you for money, for Naboth is not alive, but dead.’ And as soon as Ahab heard that Naboth was dead, Ahab arose to go down to the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite, to take possession of it” (I Kings 21:1-16, ESV).
            There are a number of things going on here, but the underlying problem is King Ahab covets Naboth’s vineyard.  Naboth has a vineyard, and Ahab thinks he deserves it – and he wants it to plant a vegetable garden.  But he is not as shrewd as his wicked wife, Jezebel – Ahab goes home and mopes when he can’t get the thing he covets.  When Jezebel sees him, she says that she will fix the problem.  And she does.
            Jezebel invites a bunch of people to join in a communal fast, and she tells the elders and leaders of the city to secure two men who are willing to commit false witness – remember you need two or three witnesses – and the men lie and say that Naboth used the Lord’s Name in vain and cursed Him and the king, as well.  And then, knowing that Naboth is innocent, they haul him out into the street and committed first-degree murder – all because Ahab wants Naboth’s vineyard so he can plant a vegetable garden!
            This is not love of neighbor.
            Love of neighbor does not covet other people’s things or abilities or families, but looks at others and loves them as bearers of the Image of God and given thanks to God for them and for the gifts and families and things God has given them – all the while praying for them that they will use the things and care for the people in a way that glorifies God and brings them joy.
            God knows what we need and who we are – God has known us before we came into existence and as we are formed in the womb and throughout all of our lives – and God knows our thoughts.  He knows our sinful thoughts – our covetous thoughts – and not like Santa who “knows when we are sleeping and known when we’re awake” – no, but He has always known – before time and space existed, God knows all.  And so David writes in Psalm 139:

            “O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
            “You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.
            “You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.
            “Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
“You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
            “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.
           
            “Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?
            “If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
            “If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.
            “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,’ even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.
           
            “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
            “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
            “Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
            “My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
            “Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
           
            “How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
            “How vast is the sum of them!
            “If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
            “I awake, and I am still with you.
           
            “Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
            “O men of blood, depart from me!
            “They speak against you with malicious intent; your enemies take your name in vain.
            “Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD?
            “And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
            “I hate them with complete hatred; I count them my enemies.
           
            “Search me, O God, and know my heart!
            “Try me and know my thoughts!
            “And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!” (Psalm 139:1-24, ESV).
            In this Psalm David glorifies God and asks God to purify his thoughts – including covetousness.  David confesses that God knows every thought he ever has and ever will have and God keeps him from going over the edge.  For God is always here – no matter where we are, there is God.  Even from before the beginning, God is there and as each of us is formed in our mother’s womb, God is there.
            And so David says that the thoughts of God are precious and he desires to know them, and he prays that God would slay the wicked and purify his thoughts – changing him that he might find everlasting life.
            We know this is only possible through David’s greater Son, Jesus.  If there is no Savior, there is no salvation, there is no indwelling of God that we would be transformed into the image and likeness of Jesus and be welcomed into the Kingdom.
            So, how do we keep from covetousness?  How do we achieve what David prays for?
            Paul writes, ‘I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:10-13, ESV).
            First, we keep from the sin of covetousness by being content – by being satisfied with what God has given us – by doing the work God has set before us, but not striving after what others have, believing we deserve it more.  And we find our contentedness and our satisfaction through Jesus Who strengthens us.
            This is another verse that we get wrong – “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”  So, I can be the world’s most sought after underwear model?  I can get straight “A”s without ever studying?  I can become a millionaire?  I can have the most “likes” on Facebook in all of history?
            No, Paul says that he is – and we can be – content and satisfied with what we have from the hand of our heavenly Father because Christ strengthens us to be content and satisfied with plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  If our strength is sought and found in Christ, it doesn’t matter what we have, it will be enough, because we have Christ.
            Second, we keep from the sin of covetousness by being thankful to God for what He has given us – especially His salvation – and for what He has given to others.
            If we can thank God for His provision while we are physically hungry, and if we can thank God when someone else receives the promotion and not us – then we have learned to be satisfied in Christ and by His strength.  It doesn’t mean that we don’t desire things – desiring things is not wrong, but we do not look at what others have and think we deserve them more.
            God knows our thoughts.  May He be pleased with our love of neighbor as we trust Him for all of our needs and give Him thanks.
            Let us pray:
            Almighty God, we follow after the old man when we become jealous and even desire that our neighbors lose what they have, and when we don’t trust You for our daily provision.  Help us to be thankful for others and for Your provision, finding our strength in Christ, and being satisfied in You for You know what is best for us.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: