Thursday, February 09, 2006

"The Book of Daniel"

As often happens, it seems, I spoke well of NBC's show, "The Book of Daniel," and it was promptly cancelled. For anyone who would like to see the show, episodes can be viewed on www.nbc.com. They are adding a new episode each week. For how long? I don't know. I just watched the most recent episode, about the son, Peter's, recovery from being beaten for being gay. The episode is interspersed with a homily of Father Daniel Webster.
"Sometimes the will of God -- Fate -- is meaningless and cruel."
"Prayer is the dress-rehearsal for the action we know we must do."
"God's will is that we live for each other..."
The Muslim world is outraged over a comic about Mohammed. Some have even resorted to violence to show that he is not to be made fun of.
The Christianity of "The Book of Daniel" is not, to my understanding, sound biblical theology. Yet, as I heard and here quote some of the lines from the episode, I wonder if any of my congregation watched the episode. I wondered if they knew what was biblical and what was not in Father Webster's words.
Part of the job of the shepherd is to guide, nudge, and whack the sheep on the head, so they don't fall off a cliff or down into a pit. To do so, we must be able to recognize the cliff and the pits and know where the safe ground is.

No comments: