Monday, March 02, 2009

Review: "The Pillars of the Earth"

I loved Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth.

At almost one thousand pages, I enjoyed this epic tale in bits and pieces during my “free time.” This book was suggested to me by one of the women at our pool with whom I was discussing books. I had told her I enjoy historical novels and, especially, historical mysteries. This is not a mystery, but it did draw me in and keep me captive. (And I am glad to find out that he has recently written a sequel, which I hope to read this summer.)

The Pillars of the Earth centers on a stone craftsman, Tom Builder, and his desire to build a cathedral during the Middle Ages. There is a great deal of informative plot line concerning the politics and mores of the time – and to a lesser extent, the Roman Catholic Church and its theology. One follows Tom, his children, and grandchildren, as the building of the cathedral goes through triumphs and challenges of every type.

Anyone who is interested in historical novels, the Middle Ages, or just a great epic read will love this book.

No comments: