Friday, December 11, 2009

Review: "God's Alphabet for Life"

My niece recently turned seven, and my brother told me that she is taking after me in her love for reading, so I decided to buy her a book. I also wanted it to be something to assist in her Christian upbringing. With that in mind, I picked up a copy of God’s Alphabet for Life by Joel Beeke and Heidi Boorsma.

This book, rightly aged for four to nine year olds, is a collection of twenty-six alphabetical devotions with Scriptures. Each chapter begins with a verse and then spend about three pages, in larger print, explaining, directly to the child reading, what the Scripture is about.

The authors teach the value of the human soul and present a plain teaching of salvation. They also cover the general topics of submitting to and loving God. At the end of the book, there are additional Scriptures that one might memorize – especially the older children.

I thought this would be a wonderful book for my niece, and I would like to get additional copies to give to youth I encounter. It is an excellent and memorable way to introduce the Gospel and to get parents and/or care-takers involved in the spiritual education of children

No comments: