Tuesday, December 07, 2021

Review: Berserk, Volume 1

 

I know little about anime, but I know a little more now.  Cole Hastings talks about it on his YouTube channel – and he said Berserk is his favorite. I asked my sister about it, and she’s likes it as well, and has the first few volumes, so I borrowed them.

These volumes are paginated from back to front and right to left, as the original language version is.

The series is by Kentaro Miura.

Berserk 1

The story opens introducing the reader to Guts, the Black Swordsman, and his friend, Puck the Elf. Guts has suffered in war and been tortured and is now out for revenge. He is marked on the neck with a brand that draws evil to him. And he lost his left arm which is now replaced with a mechanical one.

The pages are more drawings than words. The art is living and takes the reader through the story with understanding.

The volume is marked with a parental advisory for the violence of the story and art.

I am going to continue reading.

[This review appears on my blog, Amazon.com, and Goodreads.com].

No comments: