Friday, January 27, 2023

Review: "Truth for Life: 365 Devotions, Volume 1 & 2"

 

I used Alistair Begg’s Truth for Life: 365 Daily Devotions, Volume 1 as one of my devotional readings over the past year. I also have Volume 2. I largely found it a helpful work.

Each devotion takes up one page.  The date is at the top, and underneath the date is a title for the devotion, and under that, there is a text from the Bible on which the devotion is based. At the end of the devotion there are three symbols:  a head, a heart, and a hand up in the stop position.  This is followed by a text for further reading.

The symbols are there to remind the reader to ask – in order, “how is God calling me to thank differently, how is God reordering my heart’s affections – what I love, [and] what is God calling me to do as I go about my day today?” (8).

I said I found this a largely helpful work. There were a few times that I differed with Begg’s interpretation – but that is neither here nor there, since I have only found one writer that I haven’t read anything that I disagreed with.  My issues are mostly with the format of the devotions.

First, under the date, there is a title for the devotion.  I think the title is unnecessary and takes up room that could be better used. (More on that in a moment.)  If one thinks the title is necessary or worthwhile – at least decrease the font.

Second, increase the font of the Scripture.  The Scripture is barely readable the font is so small. It is in the smallest font of everything on the page.

Thirdly, the three symbols are explained in the introduction.  It would seem best to flesh that out a bit in the introduction and drop the symbols from each page which I found confusing and takes up room that could be better used.

Finally – and this is what the decrease of the title font size and the elimination of the symbolize makes room for – end each devotion with a prayer.  The reader can use it or be guided by it, rather than just facing the symbols.

The devotions are biblical and written for all ages.  I would recommend these devotionals.  I just think they could be better with the changes noted above.

No comments: