Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Review: "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy"

When I received my latest book for review from Thomas Nelson, Eric Metaxas’ Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, I must admit I heaved a sigh over the size of the book. Do not let that keep you from it – you won’t be able to put it down. Check out the product information at http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=1595551387&title=Bonhoeffer

Metaxas has written a thorough and extremely engaging biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, German pastor and leader during the rise of Hitler. I had read some of Bonhoeffer’s works years ago, but I knew little about his life. Metaxas fills in his background, family, the struggle he had in making the profound decisions he made in that violent and dangerous climate – decisions that led to his being executed.

Besides seeing the struggle of decisions that was his life, I was struck with the fact that in all things, Bonhoeffer went back to the Bible to listen to the Voice of God, and, I was also intrigued by Bonhoeffer’s belief in the necessity of the community of the Church.

I would say that this is a vital and enjoyable piece of scholarship. If I would say anything negative about it it would be that I wish Metaxas has gone into more detail about Bonhoeffer’s theology. I also dislike the style of endnotes used, but it is an acceptable style; I just find it difficult to follow.

Metaxas book has renewed my interest in Bonhoeffer and I am going to order Bonhoeffer’s two doctoral thesis to better understand this pivotal and influential theologian. Thank you, Mr. Metaxas.

[This review has been published on my blog and on Amazon.com.]

No comments: