Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: "Your Money God’s Way: Overcoming the 7 Money Myths That Keep Christians Broke"

My latest review for Thomas Nelson is Your Money God’s Way: Overcoming the 7 Money Myths That Keep Christians Broke by Amie Streater. Product detail can be found at:

http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=1595552324&title=Your_Money_God's_Way&author=Amie_Streater

Streater’s book is not rocket science, and it might prove helpful to those who are stuck in the “money myths” that she enumerates. My one concern would be wether a person caught in these “myths” would be able to get out of them without the help of a financial counselor; I’m not sure this book alone would solve his problems.

After the introduction, Streater enumerates seven myths, which amount to (1) money can fix my problems, (2) Christians need to do and give anything anyone asked of them, (3) I don’t have to do anything; God will take care of my responsibilities, (4) Christians can always be trusted, (5) Giving is magic – if I give, God has to give me back more, (6) I’ll worry about it tomorrow, and (7) Every impulse I have is a command from God.

Each chapter ends by explaining “God’s Way” and giving “Solution Steps” to each of the “myths.”

She ends her book recommending budgeting and working towards 10% for the Church, 10% for saving and 80% for everything else.

I think this book can be useful, but I don’t think it is the end and final answer for someone struggling with his finances.

[This review is posted on Amazon.com and my blog.]

No comments: