Friday, January 01, 2010

Review: "Sermons on the Acts of the Apostles: Chapters 1-7" & "Songs of the Nativity: Selected Sermons on Luke 1 & 2"

I bought John Calvin’s Commentaries about twenty years ago and have used them regularly since. Despite professors and other ministers telling me that Calvin is outdated and not very useful, I have found his commentaries to be both inspiring and enlightening. However, it was not until this past year that I read any of Calvin’s sermons – I figured, what’s the point? I have his commentaries.

This past year I decided to see if there was a point, and I read and used two volumes to assist in my sermon preparation: Sermons on the Acts of the Apostles: Chapters 1-7 and Songs of the Nativity: Selected Sermons on Luke 1 & 2. And there is – to my surprise and joy, I found that Calvin’s sermons are as worthwhile as his commentaries.

Both of these volumes have been translated into English for the first time. The Acts volume was originally volume one of a series – the rest of which have been, sadly, lost. The Nativity volume is selected out of the French work Sixty-five Sermons on the Harmony or Concordance of the Three Evangelists.

There is a difference between commentaries or lectures and preaching, as “all” pastors have been taught. I recognize that there is a difference – the commentary or lecture has more blood and guts details of grammar, history, etc., as the passage is opened up, whereas the sermon presents the doctrine and then the heart-work (to express it “Puritanly”). However, I cannot give a good statement as to what the difference is beyond that. Some have said that sermons have “practical application” (an express I have come to loath), whereas commentaries do not, but that is not the case. Surely, the commentary seeks to expose all that one can find, whereas the sermon is more restrained and guides the sheep along the path that God has ordained. Yet, I still find a certain Je ne c’est qua about the whole matter. (Perhaps it is like the rules of grammar, which, though I can state to some degree, I still find inscrutable.)

All that being said, in reading the sermons, one sees the essence of Calvin’s Commentaries, but one also see the pastor urging his congregation on in the heart-work of the text. Given the time, many of the examples engage the errors of the Papists, which have not changed, despite what our denominational leaders may say. Even if one is not inclined to apply the text in that manner with one’s own sheep, one can absorb the methodology of giving an urgency of heart-work to them, which alone would make these volumes worthy of reading.

Since reading and using these volumes, I have picked up a few others. I heartily recommend reading Calvin’s sermons. Let them infect your preaching for the better, and see how and what Calvin saw as the need to address amongst his own sheep.

Calvin’s concerns are not foreign to our own day: I often found myself reading and seeing how his application and urging of heart-work was them same then as now – just as needed. As I read these words, I thought of some of the debates and sins in the RCA (my denomination) right now: “As soon as men give themselves license to say ‘We must have such and such an image to represent God’, the devil straightaway takes possession of them and everything they do and fills their heads with so much nonsense that there is no end or restraint to their inventions, as is evident in the many trifling playthings in the Papacy. Yet there is no foolish trifle that does not convey some great mystery. A candle represents the Holy Spirit, salt represents God’s wisdom, and spittle, oil, and other items in endless array all add their spice to the sauce, so to speak. Into the mix they add play-acting and mimes, and yet God is everywhere. Indeed, men grossly abuse God’s name whenever they invent what pleases them and then try to compare God, his power, and his majesty to their inventions” (Acts, 525).

I fear that my high recommendation of these sermons will be seen as old-fashioned or not “practical” enough for our supposed “post-modernity.” I take small comfort in knowing that “practical” is Greek for “but it just jumped out of the fire” (cf. Exodus 32:24).

I urge us all to read the sermons of biblical men of God, such as John Calvin, for our spiritual health and to assist us in the proclamation of the Gospel.

1 comment:

麻辣鴨血Maggie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.