Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Time for a Doctorate (D.V.)

From "The Newsletter of Second Reformed Church":

A few months ago, I was approached by two different individuals about several possibilities, both for me and the church. After much prayer, I have decided not to pursue the opportunity that was suggested to me, and the Consistory will be discussing some possible means of outreach that we can engage in beginning this year. Please pray for their wisdom in making a decision and implementing our call to love God and our neighbor with every part of our being.

We continue to be blessed by our relationship with Frank Bryant and the groups he is involved with. We thank God for his efforts to improve Irvington for all of her residents. Recently, we hosted the Our Youth Academy’s end of the year party thanks to Frank sending them our way, and now we have an ongoing relationship with them.
We are also going to make a go at getting the Girl Scouts to have a troop a Second Reformed. Last year, they were unable to achieve this goal, but we pray that they will be able to do so this year.

As for me, my prayer led me to the conviction that now is the time for me to begin a doctoral program. And it is my hope, D.V., to begin the program this September.

Drew Theological School offers a doctorate which would be advantageous to me for several reasons: It is very close by and it is taught in intensive daily and week-long sessions over a three year period. This will allow me to pursue the degree without neglecting the work I have been called to do at Second Reformed: I will use my vacation and days off to accomplish the work I need to do.

The program track I am interested in pursuing is in “Church Growth and Development.” The first year will be primarily course work. The second, primarily developing a plan. And the third, implementing the plan at Second Reformed and writing it up.
Drew’s program is also, relative to other programs, rather inexpensive: fifteen thousand dollars, or so, over the three years.

I would ask that you would please pray for me: Please pray that I would get into the program. Please pray that I would work diligently and hold fast to the Word of God as I achieve the degree. Please pray that God would be merciful and grant me mild symptoms (relative to my sarcoidosis) so my work will not be hindered by health restrictions. Please pray that God would be pleased to use this work in His Providence for the growth and development of Second Reformed and all those who worship there.

Up until this newsletter, I have only told a handful of people about my prayers and that I believe God would have me pursue this work. The question I have been asked over and over is, “How will you afford it?”

I have contacted the Classis and asked for their assistance, and I was told that they do not have the funds to assist with doctoral programs.

I have contacted Drew, and they told me that the maximum scholarship they award is thirteen hundred dollars a year, and that is almost exclusively for minorities. I will apply, but I was told not to count on getting anything from the school. The professor I spoke with did tell me to fill out the government loan forms, though. Although up till now, the government has not authorized loans for graduate work, he told me that President Obama’s education bill, if passed, would allow for a partial loan towards the first year. So, I will apply, and see what the government decides.

By the time you read this, I should have met with the Consistory.

I have gone over my budget, and I will save every penny I can, but my basic expenses and taxes use up almost all of the money the church is able to pay me.

So, I would also ask that you would pray that God would provide the fifteen thousand dollars I need – whether through loans, grants, scholarships, gifts, or some combination of any or all of the above.

I would also ask you to pray if God is calling you to be a part of this work at Second Reformed. If God puts it on your heart that my pursuing this work could be beneficial to Second Reformed and you would enjoy participating in it, I would greatly appreciate your sending checks to “Second Reformed Church” and marking the memo, “for the pastor’s education.”

May God be glorified as you and I seek to follow Him at Second Reformed Church.

No comments: