Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Review: "Circe" (manuscript)

 

            My sister thought I might like Madeline Miller’s book, Circe, and she was correct.

Miller expands and fills out the backstory and connections of the Circe story that we find in Homer, Ovid, Apollonius of Rhodes, and the epic, Telegony.

Miller writes the story from Circe’s point of view, so what we have is a captivating story of Circe telling us who this woman is and why she does the things she does.  Miller draws the reader in quickly and brings us along effortlessly for the ride.

I found it a great read – entertaining – and the reasoning makes sense in the story.  I enjoyed it enough that I plan to read her first novel, The Song of Achilles.

The novel ends with a glossary of characters, an interview, recommended reading, and discussion questions.

            [This review appears on my blog, my YouTube channel, Amazon.com, and Goodreads.com.]

No comments: