Friday, September 25, 2020

Review: "A Field Guide to Becoming Whole" (manuscript)

 

            I actually read these books backwards.  There is the book, Becoming Whole by Brian Finkert and Kelly M. Kapic, followed by their book, A Field Guide to Becoming Whole:  Principles for Poverty Alleviation Ministries.  I am reviewing the latter here.  At a later time, I will review the former.

            In the Field Guide, Finkert and Kapic look at twenty principles for ministry with the goal of poverty alleviation (13).

            The draw a fascinating distinct between “tradition religion” – in which the participants believe the world is controlled by spiritual forces, “Western Naturalism” – in which the participants believe the material world is basically all there is (24), and “historic Christianity” – in which the participants believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  There are other perspectives that mix two or more of these perspectives – and extremely popular right now is the mix of Western Naturalism and historic Christianity which morphs into what the authors call “Evangelical Gnosticism” – the believe that  we should live the “good life” now and we will enjoy a purely spirit life in Heaven after we die (25),

            From there, they discuss the five causes of poverty:  false gods, destructive practices, broken systems, broken people, and demonic forces.  The twenty principles are divided into these five causes (30).

            At the end of each principal, there are questions for discussion.  So, this book could be read alone or in a group setting.

            The book ends with endnotes – which are always helpful.

            I found numerous ideas and passages which could be helpful in addressing the needs of those poverty.  However, near the end of the book – where they are addressing things outside of the person that case poverty, they mention “systemic racism” as a problem (163).  I was crestfallen.

            Do I believe that there are racists?  Yes, I do, and they should be called out and stopped from racist action.

            Do I believe there are racist systems?  Yes, a system like Jim Crow was racist and was rightly done away with and outlawed.

            Do I believe that every system in all of the United States is racist?  I do not.  And that is where the expression “systemic racism” comes down.

            I am disappointed the authors put this forward.  It taints the whole book, so I cannot recommend it – unless you are willing to filter through it for the helpful things.

            [This review appears on my blog, my YouTube channel, Amazon.com, and Goodreads.com.]

No comments: